Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day Three - The Rickshaw



After writing my last blog one of the girls, Aki 2, came to me and asked me to go to the Beauty Parlour with her. So off we went at 9:30 at night to go and help clean and paint and more. By the time we left it was past midnight and you have to imagine the scene.....8 girls, 3 boys, 2 Canadians walking home in streets of Dhaka after midnight (relax mom, no Bangla's are out this late) and it is POURING rain. We can't find a taxi or a rickshaw for a long time. Apparently Bangla's are afraid of the rain and Kristen and I can't figure out why for the life of us as we welcome the cool water after such a long hot day. Finally a rickshaw comes, only after a car passes us in a 4 inch puddle and does not slow down...I am soaked. We ride home, in the rain, by rickshaw, laughing all the way. I think I laugh more here.

Today was more rickshaw but in crazy traffic. I ventured out on my own for the first time (okay I took a student with me to translate but hey!) I bought a computer adapter (the wrong one) picked up photos for Kristen (couldn't find them) and bought paint for the Spa (the wrong colour). But I made it there and back okay! This place fills me with gratitude for small successes.

My day is complete with my own internet hook-up because I pushed myself and asked for it. As well, I sang a group of our little ones to sleep tonight. They reminded me so of Duncan and Ian that I 'almost' cried. They are ill with a skin condition and so they are seperated from the rest of the kids. They call me mama Tamara and now they know that 'Tamara gun' which means Tamara sing!

Oh, and did I tell you, that 2 inch beedle, was a cockroach! Oh well.

Tomorrow I actually begin to work. But I will still sing to the kids. I can't wait to bring out my flute!

Do no bad! (Thank you)

T

P.S. Soon I will have my webcam fixed and I will be able to send instant photos. (Kevin, this is what I look like when I'm camping, or when I'm in Bangladesh!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tam!

Thank you for the wonderful birthday gift of warm, heart-felt messages! It was so nice to read them on my birhtday (23). Glad to see that you are fine and the flight was good too. Now I have two important people in my life with new adventures. Jessica just left on the 8th to work on Princess Cruise line in the theater show production comany. She has never been on a cruise and is adjusting well too.

The tributes that you have are so wonderful! I only wish that you could be Corey's "flat stanley" project person. I do not think anyone is sending him to Bangledesh. Do you know the project? In a nutshell the sender writes the note that Stanley wanted to visit in Calif. but could not afford the airfair, so he stood in front of a steem roller and was flattened so he could be mailed to Calif. Then the person in Calif. wrote and took pictures of his week long adventure in Calif. The current students fill in the detination and creat their own flat stanley. Corey did meet a friend at the beach this summer so Stanly is now in Mississauga. Patty and Jim had his "cousin" 4 years ago and he was at the beach and visited Toronto. Great pictures if you could imagine...even with the assorted beverages.

I will share your great blog with Corey and Jenna. They really are interested in adventures around the world. Thank you for this opportunity.

I love you\

Spaz

Anonymous said...

Hi Tam!
Have just been reading your updates. I am amazed by you and what you are doing over there.

Don't worry about not knowing how or if you will make a difference - you are you and you are there - that in itself is a gift to the people there. You are a unique, kind and giving person. That will translate. Enjoy the adventure and stay safe!
Luv,
Kelly